top of page

Food Group

Public·1 member

Buy Gluten ^HOT^ Free Lefse

Ah, lefse. Potato flatbread. That wonderful Norwegian holiday treat that's best enjoyed when slathered with butter and sugar. Those that haven't had it before may be puzzled at the idea, but if you grew up in the Midwest you're probably salivating at the thought.

buy gluten free lefse

Download: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Furlcod.com%2F2uh9Jt&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3fl-_9AMuPCqfDNxPV8rCp

I'm not Norwegian or Scandinavian. I'm German-Russian. I didn't grow up with a family who made lefse every holiday season, so it's not traditional to me. However, I live in Fargo, North Dakota. And Norwegians are all over the place. And as a result, we may as well drape lefse around the town the same way we proudly display bison statues, signs, and paintings wherever we can. So this year, when the holiday season was creeping up, I took it upon myself to create a gluten free lefse so that I could join in the holiday lefse hype, too.

Honestly, Otto's Cassava Flour made it pretty easy. I simply looked at traditional lefse recipes and made some quick-and-easy subs. Coconut milk for milk/cream. Ghee for butter. Cassava flour and a little arrowroot starch for wheat flour.

In sum, if you know how to make lefse, this recipe will be exceedingly easy for you because only the ingredients are different. The method is the same. The important part is not to mix in the flours until you're ready to make the patties - if you leave it overnight, it can result in a too-mushy dough.

There's plenty of fancy lefse-making equipment out there, like lefse sticks, lefse griddles, lefse mats. But you don't need any of them. I don't have any of that - I just made smaller patties so they were easier to transfer to my cast iron skillet.

I grew up only eating lefse with butter and sugar, but I recently discovered there are other things you can do with this flatbread (go figure). Enjoy a savory version with smoked salmon and cashew cream cheese. Use eggs and bacon for breakfast lefse. Use it as a wrap with your favorite sandwich fillings. Or, slather some nut butter in that baby and roll it up. There are lots of possibilities...but I'll admit, I went through the entire batch using just ghee and honey because that's where it's at!

Before making this, I hadn't had lefse in years and years and years. Neither had my fiancé. So while I'm almost certain this recipe is legit, I'm not willing to buy gluten-filled lefse to compare. Please, if you give this recipe a go, give me some feedback so I know if it needs tweaking. I'm totally willing to twerk tweak!

You don't need fancy lefse equipment to make this, but it helps. If you don't have the special equipment, just make small patties - they're much easier to transfer to the griddle!Note: This recipe was updated 9/9/16 to clarify some measurements!

This Scandinavian treat is one of my families favorites and a Christmastime staple. Thank goodness we GF ers have an option now! This gluten free version of the potato pastry still has the lovely texture that makes lefse, well, lefse! Your order comes with 15 delicious 5\\\" x 8\\\" sheets. Fill with the traditional butter, sugar, and cinnamon... or anything your taste buds desire!

This Scandinavian treat is one of my families favorites and a Christmastime staple. Thank goodness we GF ers have an option now! This gluten free version of the potato pastry still has the lovely texture that makes lefse, well, lefse! Your order comes with 15 delicious 5" x 8" sheets. Fill with the traditional butter, sugar, and cinnamon... or anything your taste buds desire!

"We're Ericksons. Of course we're gonna add a Swedish dish or two. You may be thinking this pronouncement is a good way to introduce you to lefse, but no. Apparently lefse is Norwegian, technically, not that a technicality ever stopped me from eating it as a kid, but, you know, I had to point it out.

In the introduction to the recipe for Handangerlefse it is referred to as flatbread. Please note that flatbread is very thin and dry like a cracker, very different from Hangerlefse.Vennlig hilsen,Roar irgens

My grandfather was from Norway . My mother always made lefse. I did make some this Christmas & it turned out really well . This recipe sounds yummy , I am going to try it .I am going to teach my daughters & grandaughter to make lefse . To carry on the Norwegian tradition .

The Hardanger Lefse my family makes is very dry and quite brittle so it can be stored in a dry area(like in a closet or under the bed for a long period of time. To se, we reconstitute by running water over a lefse round place between a damp towel for a few minutes until soft.

In Norway, the lefse is sweet or savoury, thick or thin, can be made from wheat or potatoes, and can be served with a wide variety of accompaniments. Depending on the variety, the lefse can be eaten an alternative to bread or as a sweet pastry with coffee.

During the 19th century, the lefse was a popular way to store wheat or potato, which would otherwise be unusable. The lefse was stored in a dry state, much like flatbread, and would be soaked before use.

So, what's the tortilla comparison? Well, just like tortillas can be made from flour or corn, lefse can be made from wheat or potatoes. The flexibility of how lefse is served and eaten also reminds me of a tortilla.

In parts of western Norway and northern Norway, a lefse usually refers to a slightly thicker, sweet pastry-like item served with coffee. They are typically filled with a sweet, cinnamon butter. These tend to have different names in other parts of Norway. For example, here is Norway, it is klenning.

At many gas stations and ferries up and down the country, mass-produced lefser are popular sweet snacks. You'll also see lomper, round potato-based tortillas commonly used as a hot dog holder, among other uses. Whether these are classed as lefser or not I'm really not sure, but they're pretty close all the same!

But as with traditions from other countries, the American version has changed over time. Today, the lefse is considered a traditional celebration and christmas food among Norwegian American communities in the USA. Its preparation often becomes a family activity ahead of the holidays.

In the coming weeks, I'm planning to try several popular recipes for myself. Of course, I'll share them on here when complete! In the meantime, here are some links to the most basic lefse recipes, followed by some other recipes from around the world wide web.

Jølstralefse: A traditional recipe from Sogn og Fjordane region, now part of Vestland county. The easy recipe produces a dough that can be used for a savoury dinner accompaniment, or filled with a sweet butter for a coffee snack. You can also follow these tips and tricks for beginners.

Lefse with brunost cream: This recipe (in Norwegian again, sorry!) is for thin lefser and an intriguing brown cheese cream filling. I'm sure this isn't going to be to everyone's taste, but once again it shows the flexibility of the lefse!

The lefse griddle is a somewhat pricey countertop appliance that is ideal for those of you wanting to make traditional giant lefse. But a stovetop griddle pan that you use for tortillas will work just as well for trying out the recipe.

We have just started our lefse and use flour as this is what was handed down through our family. We have had a family discussion regarding the amount of butter needed in our recipe. Could you share the recipe you use? Thank you so much, Bob Aune

I grew up with what my mom called kingpins lefse or wedding lefse. Just flour, lard & milk, rolled very thin and after cooking on one side, the other side was brushed with an egg glaze & cooked until set. We kept them frozen, softened with moist towel and then unglazed side brushed with butter & then brown sugar & cinnamon. Oh such a treat

The amount of water in your potatoes will affect the amount of flour needed, wetter potatoes=more flour. I always let the hot potatoes cool and dry out before ricing my potatoes. Also the more flour you use the tougher your lefser will be. I use the minimum amount of flour called for in the recipe and then add potato flour instead of AP flour if the consistency is still too wet. Since moisture content varies batch to batch for many reasons it really is learning what the best consistency feels like. As for the rolling, once the dough is the right consistency it is easiest to roll if you are using a well floured lefse board and covered rolling pin. I make mine thin and roll until I can see the printing of my mat through the lefse. I just lightly dust with flour using a pastry wand and actually just use a non-covered french rolling pin because I find it easier to control and make nearly perfect rounds. A lefse stick is necessary to pick up and deliver the lefse to the griddle.

Without a doubt, the best lefse is the sweet variety served with coffee on a ferry crossing a fjord on the drive from Bergen north, sadly with more bridges and tunnels being built and less ferries this treat is dying out especially as DFDS have shut down the Newcastle-Bergen route and getting your car to Norway is no longer viable!

I love that my 93 year old Dad and I just found your site. He just spent the last hour telling me how he and his brother helped his mom make lefse when he was a very young child. His mother was a widow with 3 boys under 5 years old when her husband died. She made lefse not only for her family to eat but made it to sell to local stores. The lefse she made was sold over the counter for 3 cents each but she only got a penny and a half per lefse. Eventually the price increased to 5 cents each and she got 2 cents each. Dad says she could make 1200-1500 in a year in her kitchen. My memories of lefse are the ones she made for us at Christmas time rolled with butter and sugar or butter, sugar, and cinnamon inside. Dad says, though, that they most commonly ate them wrapped around the dinner foods: meat, potatoes, etc. Anyway, we appreciated your information. Thank you so much. 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• chaiseats
    chaiseats
bottom of page